Theft from a vehicle: Is my equipment covered?
For professional photographers, the world is their workplace. They need to be able to pick up and go wherever—and whenever—the light is magic. That means they’re travelling with valuable equipment, and that means, theft from a vehicle is a serious concern. Did you know some insurance policies don’t cover theft from a vehicle? Crazy, right? At Front Row Insurance, our Photographers insurance program WILL cover your equipment if it is stolen from an unattended vehicle, but with some important conditions.
- The vehicle had to have been locked.
- There needs to be visible evidence of forced entry.
- You need to file a police report.
“Hold-up” (as in, “stick-‘em-up!”) is also covered under our policies, so if someone forces you to unlock your vehicle using threat of violence, you will still be covered. But again, you need to file a police report. Understanding these conditions prepares you to understand how your Photographer’s insurance policy will (or won’t) respond in the event of a theft from a vehicle.
Remember, even with camera gear insurance, it’s better if your gear never gets stolen in the first place! Insurance is just one tool you have to protect your business from losses, but you should also be practicing good risk management.
- Don’t leave your gear in an unattended vehicle if you can help it.
- Use good judgment when choosing locations and parking spots.
- Keep your gear in the trunk or out of sight.
- Travel lean – only bring with you the gear you know you will need.
- Unload your gear into your residence
At Front Row Insurance, we offer 12 month prior policies that cover you worldwide, except in countries subject to trade restrictions (click here for a list of the Canadian government’s current sanctions). All your equipment is covered for replacement cost, and coverage for rented equipment is also available. Plus, as part of your policy you automatically get:
- $5,000 in Laptop Coverage + $10,000 Office Contents Coverage
- $10,000 of coverage for newly acquired equipment for up to 30-day
- $7,500 in Library Stock (Portfolio) coverage
- $15,000 in Money and Securities coverage
- $350 deductible per occurrence for gear
You can also purchase Commercial General Liability with our Photographers policies. Photographer liability covers property damage and bodily injury that you cause while shooting on location or in a rented studio. It can pay for legal fees, too. You can get a quote online in 2 minutes that ensures industry-low prices. Click here to get started.