Social Media Influencer Liability Insurance also protects against alleged libel, slander, defamation of character or invasion of privacy.
What may seem like mere "freedom of speech" to you can seem like defamation to another, and that is why online influencers should get Social Media Influencer Liability Insurance. With their audiences often numbering in the millions, social media influencers hold power and with such power comes the responsibility to adequately insure themselves and their assets.
Note: Simply deleting a post won't suffice. Once it's published, it's "out there".
Who Should Purchase Social Media Influencer Liability Insurance?
- Fashion/Makeup/Beauty Influencers (Beauty YouTubers)
- Food Influencers/Health & Nutrition Influencers
- Travel Influencers
- Book Bloggers/Book Vloggers/BookTubers
- Music Influencers
- Photography Influencers
- other Social Media Personalities (especially those with a large audience)
Social Media Influencer Liability Insurance | Content Creator Insurance | Media Liability
An influencer will need to complete an application and obtain a clearance report.
Upon instructions from the social media influencer, the broker will begin the clearance process (Canada only). The fee for the insurance company lawyer’s service is included in the final premium. If coverage is not bound, the insurance company clearance fee (approximately $600) is payable and an invoice will be issued accordingly.
It can take up to 10 working days for a project to be cleared and coverage to be in place so start early to ensure that your cash flow is not impacted.
The E&O policy will provide defense costs if the insured social media influencer is sued and will pay the judgment costs if the influencer is found liable. Until a lawsuit happens, it provides peace of mind.
Please contact us for an application or a no-obligation indication of costs. Unlike larger entities in the entertainment industry, social media influencers often don’t contractually need to purchase insurance, though it’s prudent that they do. For anything that they post on social media, they’re at risk of defamation or intellectual property claims. Read the below linked articles for examples of such lawsuits.
- Food Influencers: Be Prepared with E&O Insurance in Case You Get Sued
- Beauty Influencers: Be Prepared with E&O Insurance in Case You Get Sued
- Here’s why insurance for social media influencers is growing (Canadian Underwriter)
- Covering influencers: Don’t forget to like and subscribe…and insure (Canadian Underwriter)
- Producer's E&O Insurance