Posted by David Hamilton on Aug 23, 2016 2:00:22 PM


You arrive back at your apartment to find your door pried open and your photography gear missing. You take out your phone and call your insurance broker to report the claim under the homeowners policy that you purchased. An adjuster is assigned. The claims adjuster does a web search and sees that you have credits for various wedding shoots. Because you were hired and paid, your gear is now considered “commercial” equipment and as such, not covered by your homeowners policy, which is intended to cover “personal” photography gear that is not used for commercial purposes.

You tell the adjuster that you only worked  twice in the last 12 months for two weddings and made less than $300. The adjuster shrugs, "It doesn’t matter, even if you shoot a birthday party for 60 minutes for $50, you are a professional and your gear is  considered commercial and is no longer covered under a homeowners policy."

This is a difficult, pricey lesson that is better learned before there is a loss. Our experience tells us that many professionals assume they are covered by their homeowners insurance policy when in fact they are not.

If you use your gear to make money, check your insurance policy and make sure your coverage is appropriate. At Front Row we have created a 5 minute online insurance solution...

Available at:

The policy term is for 12 months and coverage is available worldwide on a limited basis, or Canada/USA only.

All equipment is covered for replacement cost for:  theft, damage, fire and loss of use. Rental coverage is also available.

The online link ensures industry-low prices.

"We wanted to make the insurance process easier, faster and cheaper for photographers,” said David Hamilton, President of Front Row. “Given that an insurance company underwriter is not involved, the cost to process an online photography equipment policy is much less  and we have passed the savings onto the gear owner. Although the policy is online, we are still available to answer questions by email or over the phone if required.”

Topics: Camera Insurance, photography insurance

What does online DigiGear Equipment insurance actually cover?

Posted by David Hamilton on Aug 2, 2016 4:03:51 PM

DigiGear Insurance Coverage for Film Equipment

This unique offering allows owners of camera equipment, sound, lighting and other film equipment the opportunity to get a quick quote in 2 minutes and purchase insurance for their gear in less than five minutes, 365 days a year, 24/7.

All equipment is covered for: theft, damage, fire and loss of use. This short animation explains the coverage:

Wait for the $50 discount code at the end! (not valid in QC, ON, SK)

The policy term is for 12 months.

Rental equipment insurance coverage is also available.

The online link ensures industry-low prices:

  • $10,000 equipment coverage: costs $80, plus a fee
  • $2,000,000 annual location liability coverage: costs $500
  • $1,000 deductible for gear

Available to Canadian equipment owners at:

About: Front Row Insurance Brokers Inc. is an independent insurance broker that works on behalf of the Canadian arts and entertainment industry to provide insurance for the lowest possible cost. Should a claim occur, Front Row ensures that clients receive the money they are owed per the insurance policy, as quickly as possible. Front Row has offices in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Nashville and Los Angeles.


Film Insurance 101 & How to Protect Your Film Project

Film Production Insurance: Why it is needed

Pre-Production Insurance

Film Production Insurance

How the Premium is Determined

Short Film Insurance

DigiGear Insurance

Props/Sets/Wardrobe Insurance

E&O Insurance

DICE Insurance

Third Party Property Damage

Crew Vehicles

Umbrella Vs. Excess Liability

Commercial General Liability

Negative Film / Videotape and Faulty Stock

Workers Comp

Cast Insurance

Extra Expense (EE)

Foreign Locations


Topics: Film equipment insurance, Camera Insurance, DigiGear