Film Production Companies & Pyrotechnics: Who can work with Pyro?

Posted by David Hamilton on Jan 2, 2013 1:41:00 PM


des éléments pyrotechniques

Only trained and certified workers can plan, rig, and detonate pyrotechnic special effects on a film production. Uncertified SPFX workers could invalidate your film production insurance.

The Explosives Regulatory Division of Natural Resources Canada issues:

four classes of pyrotechnic special effects certification:

1.            Theatrical User

2.            Assistant

3.            Pyro technician or special effects pyro technician

4.            Authority having jurisdiction (ie. A fire chief or fire protection officer)

For additional information about pyrotechnic special effects certification, contact the Explosives Regulatory Division of Natural Resources Canada.

Who is in charge of pyrotechnics?

The special effects coordinator for a production has final authority on all safety matters related to pyrotechnics used in that production. The special effects coordinator must remain on set at all times during the preparation, placement, testing and firing of any pyrotechnic special effect.

Follow all laws and requirements before using pyrotechnic special effects and get all the required licenses and permits.

Use, handle, store and transport pyrotechnic materials in accordance with all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws such as the Canada Explosives Act, the Transportation of Dangerous Good Act, and the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation.

specialized film insurance broker is best able to present the risks associated with your film production to the film insurance underwriter to ensure you receive the best coverage and premium for your production.

Front Row Insurance Brokers are specialized Film Insurance Brokers. Please call us if you have any questions.

The above information is  based on WorkSafe – Focus on Safety – Safe Work Practices for Film and Television Production in B.C. (2001 edition)