Posted by David Hamilton on Sep 29, 2021 12:23:21 PM


Insurance for Volunteers on Set

Work comp (WC) coverage provides medical costs, rehab costs, loss of future earnings and most importantly, once the injured employee accepts the WC benefits, they waive the right to sue their employer.

Work comp and interns information for BC

WorkSafeBC will not provide WC coverage to unpaid interns or volunteers: there are no wages to base loss of future earnings on.

Work comp and interns information for other provinces/states

Productions should consult with their respective provincial workers compensation boards to see if certain job classifications can be covered.

We suggest that you have the intern sign a waiver acknowledging the inherent dangers of a film set. A sample waiver can be obtained from your lawyer or we would be happy to send you one as well.

We can provide you with an accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) policy for $75 per volunteer (cost subject to change) that will pay a cash settlement for a specific list of injuries ($50,000 for loss of eye, $100,000 for loss of leg, etc.); although, this in no way replaces WC. The injured intern could still sue the employer. For this reason, I would recommend against hiring a volunteer. Your film insurance does not provide work comp benefits for interns and volunteers.

Let us know if you would like us to send you an AD&D application. We need to know the name, nationality and dates of work for each of the volunteers.

Contact us now if you have any questions. 

About: Front Row Insurance Brokers Inc. is an independent insurance broker that specializes in the entertainment industry – specifically, the film industry. Front Row works hard to provide insurance protection for a very low cost. Should a claim occur, Front Row works diligently with clients and insurers to expedite the payment. Offices in: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, NY, Nashville and LA.

DISCLAIMER: Informational statements regarding insurance coverage are for general description purposes only. These statements do not amend, modify or supplement any insurance policy. Consult the actual policy or your broker for details regarding terms, conditions, coverage, exclusions, products, services and programs which may be available to you. Your eligibility for particular products and services is subject to the final determination of underwriting qualifications and acceptance by the insurance underwriting company providing such products or services. This website does not make any representations that coverage does or does not exist for any particular claim or loss, or type of claim or loss, under any policy. Whether coverage exists or does not exist for any particular claim or loss under any policy depends on the facts and circumstances involved in the claim or loss and all applicable policy wording.