6 WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR INSTRUMENTS AT AIRPORTS AND ON PLANES
Insuring your instruments is one way to protect your instruments and gear when flying: what follows are some risk management ideas.
- If possible, keep the musical instrument with you as hand luggage when flying. This will prevent damage by airport baggage handlers. The cabin temperature is also more stable than the hold. Some delicate instruments can be damaged by fluctuating hold temperatures.
- Arrive at the airport early so that the musical instrument can be searched and then properly re-packed.
- Use proper traveling cases such as a hard bodied, foam lined, locking Pelican case [Amazon Link] or other brand designed for the road. Let your insurance broker know the type of traveling case so that they can advise the insurance company and secure the lowest premium due to the lowered risk.
- If you did have to check it as luggage: inspect your musical instrument carefully after pulling it from the airport baggage carousel. If damaged, be sure to report it right away to the airline while you are still at the airport and get a copy of the damage report. This will be helpful in the event that you need to make an insurance claim as it will have all the details needed to set up a claim.
- Lastly, keep watch on your musical instrument while in the airport terminal. Consider using a Velcro strap [Amazon Link] to attach it to your trolley to prevent theft.
- Insure your gear with a specialized music insurance broker.
- If it does get stolen: hiding a Tile [Affiliate Link] or similar tracker in your cases results in a good recovery rate for stolen gear. These products are especially valuable for vintage gear.
GET Music Instrument Insurance | Instrument Insurance | MUSICAL INSTRUMENT INSURANCE | GUITAR INSURANCE | VIOLIN INSURANCE
Many music professionals rely on Front Row for their tour and instrument coverage. We offer the advantage of one-stop online shopping with low rates, flexible options, and excellent service. For more information on how to insure your instruments, click here.
Refer a Friend to Front Row Insurance
Based on customer demand, we’ve setup our referral marketing program and if you refer a friend to Front Row, you could win a $15 Amazon eGift Card OR be entered into a random draw to win a $99 Amazon eGift Card! (depending on your province)
DISCLAIMER: Informational statements regarding insurance coverage are for general description purposes only. These statements do not amend, modify or supplement any insurance policy. Consult the actual policy or your broker for details regarding terms, conditions, coverage, exclusions, products, services and programs which may be available to you. Your eligibility for particular products and services is subject to the final determination of underwriting qualifications and acceptance by the insurance underwriting company providing such products or services. This website does not make any representations that coverage does or does not exist for any particular claim or loss, or type of claim or loss, under any policy. Whether coverage exists or does not exist for any particular claim or loss under any policy depends on the facts and circumstances involved in the claim or loss and all applicable policy wording.
Amazon Associates Disclosure: Front Row Insurance is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This post may contain affiliate links. There is no additional cost to you.
Musical Instrument Insurance 101: How to Protect Your Instruments
Tips & tricks to guard your gear
Protecting instruments at home
Protecting instruments at airports
Protecting instruments on tour
Musical tour insurance
Band on the run
Tribute bands and liability
Protecting your guitar
Protecting your drums
Protecting your keyboard
Protecting your violin
Protecting your saxophone
How to make a claim
What is my gear worth in event of claim?
You may not be covered under homeowners
Front Row’s musical instrument policy
Insurance for SOCAN members
How to compare musical instrument insurance cos.
Blurring the lines of music infringement law