Obtaining Insurance for your Short Film

Posted by David Hamilton on Dec 30, 2013 3:59:00 PM

Insuring your short film is a fast and easy process thRough Front Row.

Our Short Term Production Insurance program can include the following coverage for up to 14-days: (note that this is for Canadian based producers only)

  • Insure $10,000 of rented equipment for $85
  • Insure $50,000 of rented equipment for $121
  • Insure $100,000 of rented equipment for $167
  • Insure $250,000 of rented equipment for $304
  • Short Term Rented Equipment Limits up to $1,500,000
Get Your Online Quote NowThe locations that you film at will usually want to see proof of your location liability insurance before the property owner will give you access to film. Liability insurance will repair any property damage that your crew causes at a location. The liability insurance will provide you with a lawyer if you are sued.

The equipment coverage will pay to repair or replace lighting, cameras and other gear that you damage.

The equipment will be covered anywhere in Canada or the USA. You will be covered even if your gear is lost or stolen while travelling.

We will need the following detail in order to provide a quotation:

  • Who is the named insured? This can  either be you personally or your company if you have one.
  • What is your address and e mail.
  • What is the approximate value of the gear that you are renting?
  • How many minutes will your finished project be?
  • How many days will you be filming?
  • Where will you be filming?
  • What is the budget of your shoot?
  • Will there be any stunts or special effects?

We can also provide you with a year of coverage if you have multiple projects and we can cover your larger projects such as a feature or a series.
Click here to get covered now! ▸ 


Topics: Film Production Insurance, Short Film, Film equipment insurance, Short Film Insurance, Short Film Insurance Cost, Short Film Production Insurance, Film Gear insurance, Film production equipment insurance, Short Term Equipment Insurnace, Short Shoot Insurance

8 Ways To Save Money When Insuring Stunts & SPFX

Posted by David Hamilton on Apr 2, 2012 1:31:00 PM

  1. Hire an experienced coordinator with a lengthy résumé. This is the most important step you can take to reduce your insurance costs.

  2. Close the set to public and guests.

  3. Use stunt actors, instead of your actors.

  4. Provide a diagram showing where the equipment and crew will be located relative to the action. Place equipment and crew a safe distances from the action.

  5. Use long lenses on camera, sandbags, and Lexon shields if possible to protect the filming equipment.

  6. Provide a full description of stunt & SPFX including script pages.

  7. Describe safety measures on set: fire extinguishers, sand, fireman/policeman, first aid, ect

  8. Underwriters charge when they are anxious or uncomfortable when reviewing a stunt or SPFX. Give the Underwriter enough information to make them comfortable and you will minimize the premium charges for your stunts & special effects.

Please contact our office for a quote on your next project!

Topics: Film Production Insurance, Short Film, Short Film Production Insurance, Production Insurance, Entertainment Insurance, Entertainment Insurance Broker, Film Production Insurance claims, Film Production Insurance Premiums, Specialized film insurance broker, Canada Film Broker, DICE Policy, Commercial Production Insurance, Front Row Insurance Brokers, Stunt Insurance, SPFX Insurance, Special Effects Insurance, stunt & SPFX, Hazardous stunts, Insuring Stunts

Film Insurance Claims: What to Do When Film Production Stops

Posted by David Hamilton on Feb 27, 2010 12:48:00 PM

 Film Production Insurance claims can be settled quickly with a minimum of stress if the right steps are followed.

Front Row Insurance Brokers Inc. provides claims reporting, monitoring, and advocacy services for clients, including preparing and reviewing loss runs and developing claims procedures. We are a liaison between you and your insurance company or a third party adjuster. The primary goal is to provide you with knowledgeable, empathetic, fast service. In the event of a claim, please contact your account executive. 

Our services include designing and implementing claims reporting and handling procedures, monitoring losses to initiate necessary action on a client’s behalf, ensuring timely and equitable settlement of claims, and providing status reports on all monitored claims.

Your account executive will need to know:

  • Date of Loss,
  • Description of Loss,
  • Location and time of loss
  • Approximate amount of loss
  • Names and phone numbers of persons to be contacted. 

All incidences should be reported promptly. If you are not sure there is coverage, we can advise you. • Most coverage’s have deductibles which are applied to each claim. Each loss is determined to be a claim and subject to a separate deductible.

No loss is easy to endure, but there are steps you can take to speed the process of putting your operations back in order.

Whom Should I call first if I have a loss? Depending on the nature of the incident, or accident, call the authorities needed to assist you in an emergency: the police, the fire department or hazardous materials team.

Is it possible to take immediate action to make repairs if further damage to the property is likely? As long as the claim is covered, the reasonable cost of temporary repairs made to prevent further damage is money well-spent and, therefore, reimbursable, subject to all policy terms and conditions.

Documentation in the form of bills, receipts and photographs should be retained in order to verify damages and repair costs. 

 What about Emergency Repairs? You may hire a contractor of your choice for emergency repairs. For a covered loss, we will discuss costs directly with your contractor and come to an agreement about costs when necessary. Again, all repairs will be made subject to all policy terms and conditions.

Once Emergency Repairs are made, what should I do next? Determine if any of your property is salvageable, and if you can continue your operations at this location. Who is responsible for the settlement of my claim? My agent or broker, the contractor, the insurance adjuster? What is the relationship among all of them? • Our insurance adjuster is the person with whom you should deal with settling any claim. • The adjuster will evaluate the loss and, along with your agent or broker, explain coverage to you. • The adjuster will work with your contractor to agree on what repairs need to be done and proper costs of these repairs. • The agent or broker may assist both you and the insurance company in the processing and adjustment of the claim.

After any type of loss: • Take immediate steps to protect your property from further damage • Photograph the damage, if possible • Call your insurance agent or broker • Obtain copies of any reports that were filed, such as police reports, fire department reports.

 Retain any documentation to substantiate you claim. • Communicate frequently with the insurance company’s claim adjuster. Front Row Insurance Brokers Inc. provides claims reporting, monitoring and advocacy service to clients. A claims coordinator is assigned and acts as a liaison between our clients and their insurance company or third party. Our goals are: • Clients feel that their best interests are being served and that their claims are being actively managed. • Front Row Insurance Brokers Inc. performance is technically sound and conducted in such a manner as to fulfill a professional role. •

For every first party claim the best settlement is obtained in the shortest possible time. • System and individual file records are maintained at a consistently high standard to ensure that they accurately reflect the current status of individual claims.

Topics: Film Production Insurance, Short Film, Film Insurance, Film insurance broker, Entertainment Insurance Broker, Film Production Insurance claims, E&O insurance for Films, Film Insurance claims, Annual Film Insurance, Documentary Insurance, DICE Insurance, DICE Insurance, Film Production Companies

Film Production Insurance and Trains: Stay on Track

Posted by David Hamilton on Feb 14, 2010 4:31:00 PM

The film production company should always advise their Film Insurance broker well in advance of the anticipated use of any railway cars or equipment. You should never sign a contract with respect to use of trains without first having your entertainment insurance broker review the document.

If the train is being used as a prop/set and is not in motion, then damage to the train itself would be provided under Props/Sets/Wardrobe coverage. If the train is in motion a sublimit would be in effect for physical damage to the train.

Liability coverage is provided under Commercial general Liability policy. If you are required to indemnify the train owner, then specific coverage arrangements must be made prior to the use of the train.

In order to provide a quote/coverage for Railway Cars and Equipment, please forward answers to the following:

Railroad Questionnaire

Please provide:

  1. A copy of the railroads contractual agreement
  2. Description of scenes involving railroad equipment
  3. Dates equipment used
  4. Locations of equipment:
    1. Where is equipment stored?
    2. Where is equipment moved to? Exact street address.
    3. Where is equipment returned after use is over?
  5. Type of equipment used? Please list.
  6. Activities the production company has with the equipment.
  7. How many people will be "on board"?
  8. Distances and speed of equipment
  9. Any stunts? Please list. Please complete a stunt questionnaire.
  10. Will main line tracks be used during filming days?
  11. Please advise how the cast, crew, equipment and public will be protected during filming.

The same advice will apply no matter if you are shooting a feature film, TV series, documentary or a short film.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

Topics: Film Production Insurance, Short Film, Film Insurance, Entertainment Insurance, Film insurance broker, Entertainment Insurance Broker, Film Production, Annual Film Insuruance, Documentary Insurance, DICE Insurance, Film Production Companies, TV Series, Railroad Insurance